Join us in the weekly #MakeoverMonday series. Each week we post a link to a chart, and its data, and then you rework the chart. Maybe you retell the story more effectively, or find a new story in the data. We’re curious to see the different approaches you all take. Whether it’s a simple bar chart or an elaborate infographic, we encourage everyone of all skills to partake. Together we can have broader conversations about and with data.
Each week’s topic will be posted on the data page on Sunday. It will include the link to the original article (for context) and to the data set.
We welcome one and all to participate, but be mindful of a few things:
- This is not about criticizing the original authors. They are people like you and me and they have feelings. Focus on the data, the charts and the story.
- Use the hashtag #MakeoverMonday on Twitter if you create your own version and would like to share it. Include a picture on Twitter if you want to be included on the Pinterest page.
- Focus on what works, what doesn’t work, why those things don’t work, and how you made it better.
- Consider time-boxing yourself to one hour. Just make something quick.
- The purpose of the makeover is to improve on the original visualisation. You should stick to the fields in the data set provided and improve upon the original visualisation.
- Give credit to the original data source whenever possible
Andy Kriebel is a five-time Tableau Zen Master and creator of vizwiz.com, which he created in August 2009 to provide examples of data visualization best practices, methods for improving existing work, and tips and tricks with Tableau. If you go all the way back to the start of his blog, you’ll notice he’s been doing makeovers since that time. Andy believes makeovers are great way to learn, practice and reinforce data visualisation best practices while learning to work with lots of different data sets.
Andy is the Head Coach at The Information Lab’s Data School and writes two weekly series: Makeover Monday and Tableau Tip Tuesday. He also writes datavizdoneright.com, a site created to highlight data visualisation best practices.
Andy Cotgreave is a visual analytics expert who has been with Tableau in various roles since 2011 ranging from product consultant to product marketing to his current role as Senior Technical Evangelist. Prior to Tableau he was a data analyst at the University of Oxford. He writes about data visualisation on Gravy Anecdote, for Computer World and on the Tableau blog.
Andy’s role at Tableau gives him the opportunity to work with the media, analysts and customers across all industries to help them understand the trends in visual analytics and develop their own data-discovery skills.You can follow Andy on Twitter at @acotgreave.
You can find his portfolio of writing, speaking and blogging on Pinterest.